Sunday, July 1, 2012

Writing Circle 2

This writing circle really helped clarify what direction I want to go with my research project.  I need to start thinking about the questions: what does it mean to be gifted, what are the benefits of gifted programs, and how did gifted programs emerge?  My group has been really great in helping me realize what problems may also come along with gifted programs.  What types of limits should be put on programs like these?  I believe that there needs to be limits on these programs but I am not sure if school districts are adequately enforcing these limits.  Should strongly opinionated parents be able to push their children into gifted programs? We also discussed the notion of moving children up in grades if gifted programs are not an option.  One story from my group members indicated that a girl was moved up but then had to repeat that grade she moved up to.  But in this case it seemed as if her parents pushed her teachers to allow her to move up.  Another story indicated that another student who moved up flourished.  So in the long run I think if the student is truly competent then moving up may help them but if they are not it may actually hurt them in more ways than one.  The big question here then becomes what measures these competencies?  Should we educate children based on age or competencies?  I feel that if we started educating children solely on competencies it would create a lot of conflict and hostility among students and parents.  If a child who is six is in a kindergarten level class but many of their friends are in a first or second grade level class it may create the feeling of inferiority at a very young age.  Now that I have a lot of questions posed about gifted programs I need to find more research to support or maybe give some explanation for my questions.  If anyone has any ideas in history that can relate feel free to let me know.  I can find a lot of information about when gifted programs were formed but I still need more insight on the reasons for their formation.

No comments:

Post a Comment